Note N3221 Index
Kenneth drove the Andover stage for many years. He was also a Maine State Policeman. He died at the Veteran's Hospital in Togus, Maine. During World War I, he served as a Private in the 74th Infantry Regiment, 12th Division, U.S. Army.
Note N3222 Index
Elbridge operated a restaurant for a while. In the 1880's, he ran a small hotel called "The Scribner House," located at 257 Jefferson Avenue in Detroit. He and brother Frank were partners in that business, along with a wood yard and dealership, which Frank ran. Elbridge and Selina had no children.
In the early 1890's, Elbridge became the first superintendent of grounds at Water Works Park in Detroit. He built a small greenhouse in the park and grew plants and flowers to beautify the park. In 1893, he began work on a floral clock, designing an intricate water-driven system using cup-shaped paddle wheels to run the mechanism. The clock kept accurate time.
The mechanism was placed on an 8-foot-high knoll just inside the park's entrance. Flowers and greens were planted to form the clock's face and bordering edges, and the wooden hands were covered with flowers. It was admired by the park's visitors for years. However, over the years, interest in the clock diminished to such a point that the clock was slated to be junked. In stepped the famous Henry Ford, of automobile manufacturing fame, who saved the clock and had it removed to Greenfield Village, where there is a museum and several restored buildings from by-gone times. The clock remained at Greenfield Village (operating by electricity) until well into the 1980's.
Elbridge made other special things for the park. He designed a floral cow in a field of corn; a floral tepee with smoke curling from the top; a calendar made entirely from plants that were arranged in such a way that he could change the date simply by moving a few blooms; and a tribute to the members of the Board of Park Commissioners with their names spelled out with flowers. For more information on Elbridge and Water Works Park, go online to The Detroit News Website: www.detnews.com/history/waterworks/waterworks.htm. The above information was adapted from the article, "Detroit's Water Works Park a gateway to the past," written by Laurie J. Marzejka of The Detroit News. A picture of the floral clock is included in that article.
Note N3223 Index
Albert was a farmer. He and Matilda had a total of 7 children, of whom only 3 were alive in 1900.
Note N3225 Index
Frank was a wood dealer in Detroit, in partnership with Elbridge. They were also partners in operating a small hotel, "The Scribner House," in Detroit.
Note N3226 Index
Edward was a tobaccanist (seller of tobacco products). His parents were born in England, as were his wife's parents.
Note N3227 Index
Frederick was a farmer in Wheatland (Monroe County) amd in Sterling, where they had moved about 1842. He had been married previously (wife's name unknown) and had three children. Besides Minerva, there were three other children born to him and Mary. In 1850, they were next-door neighbors to Aaron, Rhoda and their family. Two books about the Hetchler family are in the Mt. Clemens, Michigan, Public Library.
Note N3230 Index
From 1754 to 1763, Britain and France (long-time enemies) were engaged in a series of battles that came to be known as the French and Indian War. These battles in North America were part of a larger European conflict known as the Seven Years' War. The French and their Indian allies fought against the British in several places. One of the lesser-known battles was fought in Maine, at Fort William Henry (south of Damariscotta, at Pemaquid Point).
After moving to Haverhill, Massachusetts, James and his oldest son, Samuel, enlisted in the First Foot Company of Haverhill, commanded by Lt. Col. James Osgood. That unit was one of several sent to reinforce the garrison at Fort William Henry, which was coming under attack by the French and Indians under the French General Montcalm. The British and Colonial forces were defeated, and surrendered in 1757. Most of those who surrendered were massacred, among them James and Samuel.
Back in Haverhill, Abigail held out hope that her husband and son had, instead, been captured and were still alive. In 1758, she applied to the government on their behalf, but they were never found. Finally, in 1774, she was given permission to settle her husband's estate.